Why Don Fulgencio Entrambosmares del Alquilón's "Apuntes para un tratado de cocotología" belongs in the Spanish Cultural Studies curriculum - followed by a concise argument to the contrary
Cultural Studies as a discipline has taken traditional literary studies to task - quite rightly in fact - for the narrow approach used to define the object oft raditional investigation. Even so, there must be a place for narrative in the Spanish Cultural Studies curriculum. Seeking texts that might suitably fit into the goals of a less traditional syllabus, the present essay advances a novel proposal. Whereas "Apuntes para un tratado de cocotologia" is presented in Miguel de Unamuno 's Amor y pedagogia (1902) as the work of a fictional character named Don Fulgencio Entrambosmares, when extracted from the context of the novel it squares with the key paradigmatic shifts of Cultural Studies -interdiscipinarity, hybridity, post- colonialism, self-reflexivity, and the question of method. Writing with a tone that echoes the self-effacement of Unamuno's work itself, Fraser - I mean the great-great grandson Entrambosmares - scientifically dissects a treatise that may one day become a staple of the discipline... or if not, one recognized to be at least as insightful as it is humorous.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. By submitting to Céfiro, the author grants to Céfiro the non-exclusive right to reproduce, translate (as defined below), and/or distribute your submission worldwide in print and electronic format and in any medium, including but not limited to audio or video.
2. The author agrees that Céfiro may, without changing the content, translate the submission to any medium or format for the purpose of preservation.
3. The author agrees that Céfiro may keep more than one copy of this submission for purposes of security, backup and preservation.
4. The author represents that the submission is his/her original work, and that s/he has the right to grant the rights contained in this agreement. The author also represents that his/her submission does not, to the best of his/her knowledge, infringe upon anyone's copyright.
5. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.